Your Ad Here

Monday, December 10, 2007

2002 - The New Superstars Year



2002 was, at the time, a really good music year for me. I had found what I thought to be the next wave of pop superstars in these four artists (granted, Shania was already kinda up there), given than all four of them released unbelievably strong commercial pop releases. The great tragedy is, they've all crashed and burned (to me at least) with their subsequent releases (particularly Justin and Christina, both of which I can't stand now). Still, these albums continue to impress upon relistening even today and have got a ton of unreleased gems that could have been massive if released as singles. Shania's track especially sounds like a lost powerpop 80's classic. I always forget how distinguished her bubblegum pop is.

Justin Timberlake - Last Night
Shania Twain - Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon)
Christina Aguilera - Make Over
Daniel Bedingfield - James Dean (I Wanna Know)

4 Comments:

Blogger richard said...

OK, Stripped was (and is) a cracking album, but Make Over? Such a blatant Sugababes rip-off.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Really, I always thought, at the time, that it was a stab at being Courtney Love-ish, though of course completely watered down. I still love the tune, though.

11:30 AM  
Blogger richard said...

I meant the specific 'babes song Overload, its even mentioned in the wiki page for the Stripped album. Oh, and thanks for posting about the Delays today, it reminds me I still have to get that album, a year on (oops!)

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Rayner said...

So, I do not really suppose this is likely to work.
ORIENTAL SPICY ORANGE BEEF

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home