Your Ad Here

Saturday, February 09, 2008



Just watched the performance portion of the first round of Melodifestivalen and here are my thoughts on who I think should and will advance. I'll put them in descending order, the most likely to advance on top...

1. Amy Diamond - Thank You
I think it'll be a pretty clear consensus that this was the best song of the night, by far the catchiest and performed by a beloved fresh artist as well. It won't win the whole contest, but it'll sail through today.

2. E-Type & Poodles - Line Of Fire
Again, a really strong song and I was surprised at how much I liked it. One thing though: could these guys be any uglier? Their performance, though not lacking energy, could have been a bit more enjoyable. Still, great song.

3. Brandur - Lullaby
Though the song bordered on being a bit boring, I think this guy's going to be the surprise of the night. It stood out against all of the uptempo stuff and the crowd seemed to love him.

4. Velvet - Deja Vu
I didn't love the song... very typical Velvet fare, though. Her name recognition should be enough, but I thought it was all a bit boring.

5. Christer Sjögren - I Love Europe
Stupid song, but a lot of fun too. And, never underestimate the power of a novelty track in this kind of competition.

6. Michael Michailoff - That's Love
The song was pretty good in a sort of forgettable way. I could see it garnering radio play but it probably won't move on tonight.

7. Face-84 - Alla Gamla X
Again, too forgettable. And, the performance left something to be desired as well. The song's alright but I found it getting kind of annoying even after the first listen.

8. Suzzie Tapper - Visst Finns Mirakel
I can't see this moving on. It was so boring and she didn't even look happy to be there. Easily the weakest of the night.

We'll see if my predictions were right in a few minutes!!

UPDATE: So I was obviously wrong about number 3 and 8! Number 8 must have had really good lyrics, that's all I have to say!
UPDATE 2: I knew that stupid Europe song would go through! And I also know that I'm going to be very very sick of it very very soon.
UPDATE 3: I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't really like that Velvet song. How the hell did that Suzzie Tapper move onto second chance?? Also, Etype/Poodles should definitely have been switched with the Europe song, but oh well. At least Amy got through as predicted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

I think you're right about Suzzie's song having really good lyrics (if you're Swedish)--apparently, she has Parkinson's, and the song is about her struggle and how she still managed to find love...a miracle (hence the title). I think her performance probably really fit that--she did look on the verge of kind of breaking down, which I imagine was very moving if you understood the lyrics. I didn't, though, so the whole thing was lost on me :-/

Yay Amy, though!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Canada, so not sure what Melodifestivalen is.

Where can I find Amy Diamond - Thank you?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

PG: I figured the lyrics must have had something to do with the song's success. And you're right, the performance probably did fit, but she looked so angry even after the song during the interview.

Anonymous: Melodifestivalen is the competition to select Sweden's candidate to compete in Eurovision in the Spring. You can find Amy's performance on youtube if you search for "melodifestivalen amy diamond" or some combination like that.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Ralph said...

I found a great deal of effective data in this post!
Acne Treatment Products

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home