Your Ad Here

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ola - S.O.S.

"I'm sending you an SOS"

To my great surprise, two of Ola's songs made my top 50 tracks of last year. I say this because his first album was full of truly abominable lukewarm teen pop and he hails from Sweden's version of American Idol. Both are not really promising things. Then something amazing happened. He started releasing brilliant, brilliant singles. This pattern continues with his Melodifestivalen entry, the perfect Love In Stereo, which just narrowly missed out on making the finals (even though it should have gone much farther). Most of the stuff on his second album sucks nearly as bad as the stuff on the first, but I've been able to construct an EP that is absolutely unstoppable pop (1. SOS 2. Love In Stereo 3. Natalie 4. Can't Get Enough 5. Good Enough). These songs are so well constructed that it probably doesn't really matter who sings them (although Ola's campy joy when singing Love In Stereo can't really be denied). He's yet to reach the brilliance of SOS, though, one of the best pop tracks of recent years for sure. Even if you're unsure of this guy (as I completely was), listen to SOS and tell me that it's not absolutely flawless. Now he just needs to stick to this style and release a whole album that's this good.

Ola - S.O.S. (zshare)

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists! Buy the album here!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

Ooo, yay! Ola + Tony Nilsson + Bassflow is my musical dream team, I think--those first four songs on your EP all have that team (Tony as writer and Bassflow as producer), and I really hope Ola has them do all (or at least far more of) his next album.

I'm thrilled to hear you like "Love In Stereo," by the way!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Yeah, as the days go by I am thinking more and more that Love In Stereo is my favorite of the Melodifestivalen tracks this year. It's definitely the Live Forever of this year's contest.

I am dying for a full album of this style.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home