Your Ad Here

Monday, July 21, 2008

Miley Cyrus - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

"My father yells what you gonna do with your life"

This should have been an unqualified disaster. I've never been a fan of this song in the first place, and common sense says a cover version by a Disney starlet would make it even worse. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Okay, I've got to get it out of the way first. As I've written on here before, Cyrus is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I think she's got the goods to sustain a career past Disney. She's definitely got the voice: a huskier, rockier tone than any of the channels' other faux-crap-singers. Her new album is actually quite good and I could see it having the same kind of success that Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway had a few years ago (Breakout... Breakaway... maybe this is what she was going for?). And this should-have-been-crappy cover is one of the surprising highlights. I give much of the credit to the producers, who decided on a punchy, time-shifting, orchestral-stabbing arrangement that really transforms the song and heightens the drama. Of course Cyrus delivers the spunk, as usual, and when everything comes together it really is teen pop at its best.

Miley Cyrus - Girls Just Wanna have Fun (zshare)

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists! Buy the album here.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

i absolutely agree - i was dreading hearing this then thought "oh my god, it's quite good!" Who knew!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Cyrus has been the biggest surprise to me the past year or so. Her music's fun but not ridiculously childish and she knows and uses her influences to great advantage. Doesn't hurt that she's picked some fantastic influences.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home