Your Ad Here

Monday, January 19, 2009

A slight change in music posts...

I've been concerned with copyright issues and entire posts of mine mysteriously disappearing for some time now. So, I've decided that I'm going to try a new way to post music, taking a cue from one of my favorite mp3 blogs, into the groove.
Starting later today, I'm going to post songs on my imeem page, still linking to them through this site on a daily basis of course.
What this will allow me to do is post songs, especially radio singles, that I haven't posted in the past due to fear of infringement (imeem is completely legal since it doesn't directly allow downloads). I will be able to give a clearer picture of the type of music that I'm obssessed with at the moment and won't have to edit my choices.

Now, you will still be able to download music from this site, but you will need two tools to do so:

1. freemusiczilla
2. riva flv encoder 2.0

Both are easily (and freely) downloaded and installed from the links above, and both are highly recommended and simple to use.
Now, for downloading purposes, this is what you'll need to do (and I will keep this post up so that you can refer to it at any time in the future).

1. Launch freemusiczilla from your computer
2. Click on the link to the imeem page of whatever song you wish to listen to/download (the links for each song will be in the daily posts)
3. Allow the song to start playing
4. A file will appear in the white box inside the freemusiczilla program. Check the small box next to the file name and click "download" in the bottom right corner.
5. Once the word "completed!" appears under the "state" column, the song is downloaded to your computer. (You can click on the blue link on the bottom to open the folder your file downloaded to)
6. The file will download with a string of letters and numbers as its title--rename it whatever you want.
7. Now you've got an flv file, but we need it in mp3. Launch riva flv encoder.
8. Now this program is typically used for video, but it works just fine for audio too. In the input box, browse for your file and load it into the program.
9. Pick your output directory (wherever you want it saved) and be sure to delete the .flv at the end of the output file and replace it with .mp3
10. Down in the lower right hand corner, make sure that enable audio is selected, then make sure the bitrate is at least 128 (which will also change the sampling rate to 44100 Hz). Finally, under "channels" select "stereo".
11. Now just press the "encode" button at the bottom of the program window and it will take a few moments to encode, giving you an mp3 file which is what you're after!

Whew, I know that sounds like a lot, but the process is actually remarkably quick and after a couple of times going through it, it will be like second nature.
The best thing is, all songs I post will stay posted unless I decide for some reason to delete them. No more disappearing posts or expired links. Also, the flv encoding can happen at any time so you can download batches of songs and wait to encode them all in one sitting if you want.

First post later today! We'll see how this all works.

5 Comments:

Blogger KulPop said...

Hi Nick,

Sorry to see the change in downloading procedures, I'll still check out your site regularly though.

Cheers,

KulPop

8:16 PM  
Blogger joe said...

Do you know of any Mac-based programs that would do the same thing?

12:58 AM  
Blogger Gumby said...

I'm happy to see the change. Zshare, once a favorite file sharing site, seems to be getting worse and worse. It now requires me to disable my ad-blocking software while presenting some fairly objectionable ads on the site. Plus, my work has blocked Zshare but not imeem so I can go back to checking this site when I'm bored at work!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hi! I'm glad to see you encouraging this kind of audioblogging. It's much better for the artists and safer for the bloggers too. You perhaps should not have written about Freemusiczilla, however. It kind of defeats the point of you not posting downloads anymore!

ps. did you work out how to listen to rockbjornen? I have looked on the site but my rusty Swedish isn't helping!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

I think it's just not up yet. It should be on the aftonbladet web tv thingie (I hope).
I wish they'd put the studio version on myspace now that they've "premiered" it. It would be nice to let people outside of Sweden hear.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home