Your Ad Here

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Melodifestivalen

I think it speaks to the underwhelming state of this third heat that my actual favorite melody was by an aging 80's star. Mikael Riskfors' song would have been 100% amazing if delivered by a band with a better image. As it stands, though, it was still the best actual track today. I didn't particularly care for EMD's song or performance, though it didn't help that my video stream absolutely sucked during it. Velvet's song and performance were both very good...above average for her. Sofia's track was better than expected, as was Maja's. I'm not jumping out of my seat for either of them, but I wouldn't necessarily mind them going on further. If I'm judging on everything put together (song, performance, um...outfits), BWO was probably the strongest today. It's still not one of their best songs, but the whole thing was too weird not to be good.

My picks to move on: BWO, Velvet, Mikael Rickfors and nobody else, really (though EMD will most certainly sail through). Molly will probably make it through too.

UPDATE: Poor Velvet! Melodifestivalen just doesn't favor her, does it? I'm surprised she keeps competing. Honestly, The Queen was miles better than Deja Vu. I can't believe that Mikael's song made it to the top five! It deserves it, though I think he was pretty shocked.
On another note, I love this "history of melodifestivalen" thing they've been doing during the voting times. The old clips are hysterical.
Also, why is the video stream so crappy this week? Or is it just me?
Thank god that EMD made it over that shitty I Got U song. I'm still not sold on the EMD performance though. I HATE the top hat/cane thing. They just look stupid. And my video stream messes up horribly every single time they come on to perform. It must be the manic yellow flashes in the background.
I had a feeling the second duel would be the battle of the ballads. In the typical versus the strange (aka: something I would NOT listen to versus something I would) the typical won. I had a feeling this would happen ever since I heard the clip of BWO's song, though it has grown on me each time I've heard it and I'll probably end up loving it. I hate that Molly song, but I guess they needed one of those big, boring schlager type ballads this year. She just happened to fit the mold.

3 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

Nick, can I undersign everything you wrote about Mikael Rickfors's song (I thought of you pretty soon after hearing the clip, actually)? It was absolutely one of my favorites in this heat, a variation on the "My Sharona" riff meets synth-flavored '80's pop-rock, and I wish so much that I could have given it to some other act to perform.

The video stream in general has been pretty awful for me, barely enough to get an idea of what's going on for some of the performances, which is incredibly frustrating. As if I needed another reason to want to be in Sweden...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Under her amazing queen dress (as well as 7 dancers), Velvet wore hotpants.

Melodifestivalen does not like hotpants (cf. Jessica Anderson)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Maximillian said...

I read so much helpful data above!
weight loss tips

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home