Your Ad Here

Monday, February 23, 2009

"They said it wouldn't last, we had to prove them wrong"

Sahara Hotnights' new covers album Sparks comes out this week and, as with most covers albums, the quality depends entirely on the songs chosen. With Sparks, it's pretty hit and miss. I of course prefer the poppier stuff. I was especially surprised to see that they chose to cover this Janet Jackson classic. Janet was my pop star of choice growing up and I was quite obsessed with her, so I was very excited to hear what this would sound like. I can't think of any other artist of note that has covered Jackson, though that should really change because she's got a ton of old classics. This particular track is really untouchable in my book (ie: it will never be done better than the original), but Hotnights' version is very interesting because it does what all good covers should... it completely changes up the original. In this case, it's slowed down a bit and the dance beats are switched with rock guitars, punctuating the chorus quite perfectly. I'm surprised how well this song works in a rock context. It's pretty cool to hear.

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here.)

1 Comments:

Blogger SweetTalkChels said...

I musssst admit, I like your blog! And your sunglasses rock.
Okay, done being random. Just thought I'd leave a comment!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home