Your Ad Here

Monday, May 18, 2009

(+ Eurovision Wrap-up)

"I'm like a kid in a candy store"

First off, a huge congratulations to Norway's Alexander Rybak. Totally deserved to win Eurovision, and not only did he win it but he smashed all records while doing so. And, just as I predicted, it looks like Fairytale is shaping up to be a European hit (it's at #3 on UK itunes!). The album's out at the beginning of July. Here's (apparently) the next single. Can't say I loved this right off the bat (it's basically Jason Mraz meets Michael Buble), but it's grown on me and I've heard other clips which sound quite good, so I'm really looking forward to the album.
On another note, I am baffled (yet again) by Sweden's low placing. The past few years it's been so disappointing. At least it makes me feel a little better about the Ark's dire score in 2007. And for the record, I did not understand the love for the Estonian, Azerbaijan or United Kingdom entries. Boring, hideous, and boring/off-key in my opinion. I much preferred Greece's over-the-top dancing on the giant light-up stapler, if only for the entertainment value.

Now onto today's post. Poster Girl and Ohh Crapp both wrote about Troy This recently, but as a service to anyone who somehow missed hearing about him, I've got to highlight his song Back That Up. Lame title, yes, but the song is majorly addicting. I knew about twenty seconds in that it was going to be a highlight of 2009. Troy has some songs where he sounds like Prince (especially the amazing--and Robyn-featuring--American Dream), and overall his sound is very 80's/Swedish. That makes sense because he recently did a lot of recording in Sweden (lucky!). Back That Up is the kind of epic pop that doesn't really need to be written about so much. Just listen to it and you'll see why I'm so obsessed. In a lot of ways it really defines the sound of this blog. Needless to say, he's a very exciting up-and-coming popstar.

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Listen to more here.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Gumby said...

Yet another great sounding artist with no place to find their music. How am I supposed to keep track of them all?

6:18 PM  
Blogger Myfizzypop said...

i ignored completely eurovision this year and then youtubed the winner and i have become utterly obsessed with Fairytale. I#m quite loving his other music on myspace too so i may end up quite the fan. Troy This is definitely growing on me.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Gumby, I know what you mean. All these fantastic up-and-coming acts at once. I want albums!

Paul, glad you like Fairytale. I've been listening to it since February and it hasn't lost any of its charm. I'm hoping for the same with the album.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous alex said...

Rybak deserved it! I'm amazed you haven't mentioned the Swiss entry yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OE5Cww_Jx0

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home