Your Ad Here

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pop Blitz

Trying something a little different today. There are a bunch of new singles out now so I wanted to give them each a little time.

Robbie Williams - Bodies
Almost several songs in one, William's new single is a hodgepodge of sounds. Electro, gospel, soaring ballad. Some bits are better than others. The lyrics annoy me, but I like the melody. B-

Alphabeat - The Spell
It's somewhat of a shift of sound, far dancier and 90's-influenced than previous work. Very Ace of Base. Unfortunately, I've never liked Ace of Base. It's not the sound I was really hoping for from these guys, but it's definitely growing on me. And the opening ad-lib is epic. B

Janet Jackson - Make Me
Janet's most upbeat dance single in a long while, this is a treat for any longtime fan to hear. The simple hook seems a bit slight at first but it's totally a grower. And the beat is totally funky. A-

Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love
Girls Aloud girl goes solo, comes up with something far more soulful and r&b oriented than I would have expected. It reminds me of Aaliyah, but not one of Aaliyah's better songs. The chorus rescues an underwhelming verse. C+

Carrie Underwood - Cowboy Casanova
Carrie's gone all Shania on us here, delivering an uptempo, pop-infused country track. Unfortunately, the melody's a bit lacking here. It feels very much like a retread of Before He Cheats. I'm sure she's hoping it'll also repeat that track's chart success. I don't think it will. C

Tokio Hotel - Automatic
Going for a slightly more electronic sound this time around, the glam-rockers crafted a soaring mini-anthem with this new single. I'd never connected with any of their music until this song. A-

Kris Allen - Live Like We're Dying
For the Idol's debut single he's covered a b-side from UK band the Script. It's alright, I guess. It's got that Jason Mraz sound to it. I just can't help but wonder why we need yet another Jason Mraz type. C+

1 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Ooo i like this. I agree with you on Janet, Cheryl and Kris. I'd move Robbie up to an A- and Alphabeat to a B+ though. I think I always have blinkers on when it comes to Robbie though... :P

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home