Your Ad Here

Monday, November 30, 2009

Allison Iraheta - Beat Me Up

"I know this isn't just a phase"

Allison Iraheta came in fourth place on this year's Idol, and her debut marks the last Idol album released from this season worth caring about. It's pretty good (look for a full review soon), and pretty eclectic too. Her single, Friday I'll Be Over U, is certainly a standout, as is Beat Me Up. I do have an issue with the lyrics of this song, since it really seems strange for a 17-year-old to sing about wanting to be abused. Not sure I quite get what she's going for there. But, the music more than makes up for it. Melodically, it's in-your-face and striking--a punchy 80's pop/rock masterpiece, bringing back the days of Joan Jett and Pat Benatar. On an album where she sounds more like Pink and Kelly Clarkson, this is a very promising direction.

Allison Iraheta - Beat Me Up

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter at nickajames)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Poster Girl said...

This is one of those cases where I really like the song--one of two highlights for me besides the single--but I wish the lyrics were different. Even if she is going for "beat me up" in, say, an Ashlee Simpson/"La La" way (and I'm not sure I'd love that, but whatever, I'd be fine with it), I get too much Rihanna flashback. That very well could be being oversensitive, but I just wish they'd clarify a bit or work a slightly different metaphor or something. That didn't stop me from playing it five times on Sunday, though.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Dodgy lyrics aside, I quite like this song and do like her first single. I'll wait for your album review and pending that, I could be persuaded to check out the full length set from her :)

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Bertrand said...

I found a great deal of helpful info here!
link

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home