Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pop Blitz 4/23/10 (U.K. Edition!)

Today marks my last full day in the UK, nearly a week after I anticipated staying here (yes, I'm an "ash traveler"), so I thought I'd celebrate what's hot right now in the country. It's mostly very good, actually.

Diana Vickers - Once
Hated her on X-Factor, but this is a cracking pop song. I guess I've been won over. It's shaping up to be quite the hit, as well. B+

Professor Green - Need You Tonight
This could have been very cool. The INXS sample works really well with a hip-hop song, but the tone of Prof Green's whiny vocals destroys it. They should've given it to Tinchy Stryder instead. C+

Scouting For Girls - This Ain't A Love Song
The video (with people hanging around an airport terminal) has certainly been apt this past week. I don't like everything this band does, but I like this. It's nice in that radio-soft-rock sorta way. B+

Plan B - She Said
Great video to this. The song's a little iffier, with a strong chorus but forgettable verses. I'm glad he does more singing than rapping, though. B-

Chiddy Bang - Opposite Of Adults
Another rap song built on a noticeable sample, but this one works. Using MGMT's Kids as a backbone, it's got a strong hook that's been lodged in my brain for days now. B

Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
Marvelous. It took a trip to the UK for me to fall in love with her, but I'm completely enchanted. The drums alone on this song are stunning. It's certainly an anthem-in-waiting. A

Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
A huge track over here, and the worst of the bunch. It's a case of unimaginative American-type rap, all about passing out because you drank too much. Charming. C-

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

the best of these for me at the mo are Plan B (I have surprised myself by really liking his album) and Florence. Diana i'm getting a bit bored of now, but only cos i've heard the track so much. Safe journey home!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Should I check out the Plan B album? I read a nice review but I'm not sure I'd like more than the single.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home