Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Pop Blitz 12/08/10

Jessie J - Do It Like A Dude
I like this girl because I think she's got charisma. But... I'm not crazy about this song. It grates a little and I just feel like for as much hype as she's getting, she could've come with something more original. B-

The Wanted - Lose My Mind
Their debut album was stronger than it had to be and really quite a good listen, but this song has never screamed "single" to me. It's one of their more skippable tracks, particularly because it sounds way too much like Kings of Leon. As an album track, I love it, but I wish it would've stayed that way. B

Bruno Mars - Grenade
He was smart to release this, one of his album's strongest tracks, as a single. If he continues this quality, he's going to have quite a career. The vocals are amazing. A-

Coldplay - Christmas Lights
If any band were made to write a Christmas song, it would be Coldplay (especially after Clocks). This is somewhat underwhelming, mostly because it really doesn't sound like Christmas at all. That's probably the point, but to me it's a missed opportunity. C+

Sugarland - Stuck Like Glue
I first heard this a couple of months ago and thought: "hey, this country song could totally cross over to pop radio." And it did. It's dangerously catchy. I'm not even sure if I like it, but I can't resist it, which means once it becomes even more ubiquitous I'm sure I'll hate it. For now, it's an A-

Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
I was all prepared to hate this, but the beat's actually really good and the hook's not bad either. I could see this easily pulling 50 Cent In Da Club type success and crossing over. It's not really my thing, but for what it is it's solid. B

Natalia Kills - Mirrors
This reminds me a little of what Lady Gaga sounded like when she first came out. It's great, but the only problem is that we have a Lady Gaga already and it's just a little too similar. Even the vocal delivery is the same. That being said, I'm liking this more each time I hear it. A week ago this would've been a B- at most. Now it's a B+

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous gmisk said...

The Natalia Kills song is very catchy but I think break you hard would probably do better as a single

3:38 AM  
Blogger Damian said...

I'm completely obsessed with Jessie these days, both Do It Like a Dude and Who U R are on replay whole week in my player. I don't even have doubts this girl will be a huge hit next year. She sounds fresh, she looks fresh and she' knows how to make a proper and interesting pop.

In love with Grenade as well, previous single hasn't clicked me for real but guy is truly promising, need to check the album.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home