Your Ad Here

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top 50 Singles of 2010: 5-1

5. Scissor Sisters - Invisible Light



The group’s longest, most experimental song to date. The final minute or so, with that drug-induced, otherworldly build, is the best moment in pop this year.

4. Tinashé - Zambezi



A somewhat unknown afro-beat pop anthem that utterly captured me this year. From the coming-of-age lyrics to the bright, soaring chorus, this is a staggering achievement.

3. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over



Quite simply, it conquered the world this year. I can’t think of a more galvanizing song. Rattling drums battle it out with divine, gutsy vocals to create what can only be described as a masterpiece.

2. Robyn - Dancing On My Own



I don’t know how she did it, but she managed to return with something even better than With Every Heartbeat. This is everything I love about Robyn distilled into one song. Soaring, heartbreaking, cool, unforgettable.

1. Foxy Shazam - Oh Lord



From the moment I heard this, it was hard to imagine any song besting it this year. This was the arrival of something breathtakingly, awesomely new. They threw everything I love about music into a blender and Oh Lord was born.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite Robyn song this year wasn't a singles ( "Call Your Girlfriend"), but I definitely agree - great year for her creatively!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous ArkArmy said...

"Oh Lord" is such a great song that he wrote for his son. It's very touching. I love it.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous alex said...

"Zambezi" has passed me by earlier, but heard it on YT now, and I love it! Can't find it downloadable anywhere though :(

9:25 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Alex,
I bet you can stream it through grooveshark, though. And I've still got it up on the blog: http://alienhits.blogspot.com/2010/08/tinashe-zambezi.html

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home