Your Ad Here

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mohombi - Love In America


"I've been flying all around the world"

I've always had a huge soft spot for afro-inspired pop music. I think it's some combination of listening to Paul Simon's Graceland as a toddler/small child and being obsessed with the Lion King several years later. Whatever the reason, I gravitate towards the stuff like crazy. It's the reason I loved Tinashe's Zambezi so much last year and why a few of the afro-inspired tracks from the Mo's second album (and Nicko's subsequent solo material) sent me into shudders of excitement. So now, along comes Mohombi, friend and protégé to famed producer Red One. Yes, the album has the synth-heavy dance sound we're used to from Red One, but it's tempered with elements from Africa to the Caribbean. It all adds up to something ridiculously catchy. There are multiple highlights (including first two singles Bumpy Ride and Dirty Situation), but this track stood out immediately because of its huge chorus. The general sound--triumphant synths colliding with thunderous vocals--is just fantastic. I'm gonna put out a plea right now: if anyone has any recommendations for music that is similar to this, send it my way! Songs like this (and the aforementioned Zambezi) seem to be rare in the pop world. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous gmisk said...

gmmm parts of that sound suspiciously like Toto - africa

3:41 AM  
Blogger Myfizzypop said...

hmmm, i've dismissed Mohombi before now. I liked Bumpy Ride but didn't really stick with me. After reading this, i really should give his album a whirl i think...

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home