Your Ad Here

Monday, September 19, 2011

Pop Blitz 9/19/11

Leona Lewis - Collide
Lewis's career needed a real kick in the butt, and I think this is it. I love hearing her staggering voice over anthemic dance production. This could do for her what When Love Takes Over did for Kelly Rowland. A

The Saturdays - All Fired Up
Similar dance sound, but I just don't really get the appeal of this group. I think I keep comparing them to Girls Aloud and they're suffering from that. It's just a little anonymous and forgettable to me. They've done better. B-

Dappy - No Regrets
The chorus is pretty strong, but the verses let it down. It plods along like a typical Chris Brown song, but I don't think there's a lot of staying power. C+

Coldplay - Paradise
It's a new sound from the band, playing around with an epic, electronic soundscape. Beyond that, though, it's more of the same. I'm not sure it's one of their stronger songs melodically, but it's not bad. B-

Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out
I'm liking this more each time I hear it, but I still think the hook is ten times stronger than the verses (which take awhile to get going). It's no Dog Days, but it'll do for now. B+

Darren Hayes - Black Out The Sun
I'm a huge Darren Hayes fan. Have been since the 90's. Sadly, though, I'm finding this new single kind of... boring? I don't know what it is. It just feels like it's all epic and grand with something missing. Maybe it just sounds too much like all of his other stuff to me. B-

Will Young - Jealousy
This is stunning. It easily leapfrogs over every other Will Young song as my favorite single of his career. I'd like about twenty more of these in his future. This is the kind of thing that'll make him the next George Michael. A

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cary Cheyenne. said...

All these songs are pretty rad, I must say. I'm a HUGE fan of Coldplay!! Great post :)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say, Australia is luckier cause they got Bloodstained Heart as the next Darren Hayes single and it is leaps and bounds over the other.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous JeffC said...

Yea, Bloodstained Heart is much better. Jealousy is awesome! Ive been listening to that non stop! "Safe From Harm" has really grown on me too from Will!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Pranav said...

for some odd reason, I think "Runaway" by Will Young is much better than Jealousy.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home