Your Ad Here

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Patrick Stump - Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers)


"Step one: drink, Step two: make mistakes"

Surprisingly, I've been listening to Patrick Stump's new album this past week. I say "surprisingly" because I really did not care for Fall Out Boy and Stump's emo-styled vocals were a huge part of that. But now he's reinvented himself as a new wave soul singer and proven that the whole screechy emo thing really was an act. The new album is very hit and miss, but the best tracks are really stunning. I love the sound he's going for--sort of a mix between Michael Jackson, Prince and The Cars. Too often the songwriting isn't as memorable as I'd like, but the styling and production is spot on. This track, the longest on the album by a mile, is the definite standout. It is SO good that it eclipses everything else. Essentially two songs melded into one, the track builds to an absolutely massive crescendo. The confessional lyrics work, the chorus has impact and it never gets old despite being over eight minutes long. If I worked at it, I could probably take the deluxe version of the album and the EP and whittle the tracks down to an album's worth of good material, but this would always remain the best of the bunch.

Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers) by PatrickStump

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Scott said...

This song is oustanding!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous JeffC said...

I like this but I'm with you, think the album is kind of hit or miss. Mostly miss.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous France said...

This is a really fun song. I can't understand people who hate this song. I admit the lyrics are not very creative and it is a bit repetitive but you can't be unhappy when you listen to it. It's a great song that will be played at parties for years to come.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous xlpharmacy said...

This song sounds nice but I have to admit the lyrics are not very creative. He can make it better.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home