Your Ad Here

Friday, June 29, 2012

Flashback Friday: G'race - Manhattan


"Some girls need liberty"

I'm sticking with Dutch singers for this Flashback Friday, though this song doesn't sound Dutch at all. It's written about an American city and given a classic African melody. It shouldn't work, but my god it does. G'race is actually a band, not the name of the lead singer. In fact, she wasn't even around when they first started. But she's all over this track. It's a mix of Adam Ant-style percussion and more typical new wave. And more than that, it's catchy as hell (even if the bulk of its melody is borrowed from traditional African music). Jungle Beat, the album that this is taken from, is worth listening to as well... if you can find it. Of course, I'm a sucker for afro-inspired pop, so I was preconditioned to love this.



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Learn more about them here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mmmmpopmuzik said...

Wow...never knew there was another version of this song. I know it by Andrea and Hot Mink. The Andrea of the band was the lead vocalist on the first album by The Flirts, the one with "Jukebox". This is the only song that I know of by her group. I have it on a 12" single but it was on the Revenge of the Nerds soundtrack, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DdkISOx0vM

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home