Your Ad Here

Monday, August 27, 2012

Pop Blitz: 90's Revival Edition

This Fall, the big story is a 90's revival in the music world. Not only do we have artists that sound like they could've been at home back then (I'm looking at you, Carly Rae Jepsen), but we've got a slew of big 90's acts releasing new music--often their first in years. Here's what I think of a few of the singles. And while we're at it, I'd like to request the return of Shania Twain and Janet Jackson (at least in her 90's heydey).

No Doubt - Settle Down
I wrote about this song when it was first released and said that, while I liked it, it didn't strike me as being strong enough for such an anticipated single. I still think this (and its chart placement echoes my thoughts). The song's still great, but it's more of an album track than hit single. Even so, they're by far my most anticipated comeback on this list. B+

Green Day - Oh Love
Well, they never really went away, but it has been a few years. Unfortunately, I just don't think this is one of their best. It straddles the mid-ground between their older, punkier stuff and their newer, more ornate rock. Melody-wise, though, it's just a little repetitive and unsurprising for my tastes. B-

Matchbox Twenty - She's So Mean
They were a band known for making excellent radio hits, even if they didn't always have the critical respect behind them. This is no bad thing in my book, and this new single follows their template exactly. This might sound like a gripe, but in 2012 their sound is downright refreshing. A very pleasant surprise. A-

Alanis Morissette - Guardian
Alanis has never really reached the heights of her breakthrough album, Jagged Little Pill, since its release, though she has put out some good music. This is a nice little comeback and definitely in keeping with her better work. Plus, it's awesome to hear her distinctive voice again. B+

Pop Blitz: 90's Revival Edition - Your Choice!
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous yoga bali said...

nice pics

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Massage Byron Bay said...

good post

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home