Your Ad Here

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

TVXQ - Catch Me


"Catch me if you wanna"

This could be the year that Alienhits goes K-Pop. Not all the way, of course, but it is the year where the rising genre has really connected with me. I'm not often one for music sung in other languages (though there are more than a handful of non-English Melodifestivalen and Eurovision songs that are some personal favorites), but of late I've really been gravitating towards the idea. Maybe it's because lyrics in English songs have become so trite and repetitive, but to be honest I've always been more of a production and melody person anyway. It's what hits me first and most strongly when listening to a song. And non-English tracks do have their benefit. Not knowing what the singers are saying means I get to impart whatever wonderful meaning I want on the songs. It's really quite freeing! Moving on, this track and video was just released and I find it absolutely stunning. This, to me, looks and sounds like the future. In a lot of ways (and I don't want this to sound racial in anyway, because it's not), it truly hearkens back to the title of this blog: #1 Hits From Another Planet. Yeah, there are definite elements that sound like what's on the American charts at the moment, but it's somehow bigger, stranger and much more ambitious.

For those curious, here are a few other K-Pop tracks I've been obsessing over (I seem to gravitate towards the male groups. Much of the girl-group stuff just kind of sounds like Gaga-esque, production-heavy American pop).

Exo-K: Mama, History, What Is Love (My fav. k-pop group right now. Epic stuff)
Beast: Breath (simply an awesome beat)
Shinee: Lucifer (when that double beat kicks in at the second chorus... wow), Sherlock
Bigbang: Fantastic Baby, Monster

So, K-pop fans (and I know you're out there!), what am I missing? What should I listen to??



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

28I'm not usually into the male groups, but Catch Me is good. So is Shinee's stuff.

I mostly listen to the female groups. Stuff I would recommend are the obvious 2NE1, Girls Generation and Kara. 4minute and Miss A have some pretty good songs too.

My favourite group would probably have to be Nine Muses. News is amazing!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home