Your Ad Here

Monday, May 20, 2013

Zlata Ognevich - Gravity


"Dancing on the edge tonight"

As predicted by most, Denmark won Eurovision 2013 this past weekend. Strangely, they also won last time the contest was hosted in Sweden and I'd put money on the contest being held in Copenhagen next year, which is only 20 minutes away from where it was held this year. Pretty crazy. It wasn't my favorite song, but I'm content with the result and thrilled that the contest is staying in Scandinavia. My favorite, Love Kills from Belgium, did pretty well, while a few I thought would do alright (Finland, Ireland) absolutely tanked. But it's Zlata Ognevich's powerful Gravity that I just can't get out of my head. It did well for Ukraine, finishing in third place, and I wouldn't have been upset if it would have won. The track is a dramatic hybrid of seemingly incongruous genres. It sounds like a poppy, world-influenced outtake from Wicked via the Lion King. Should be utterly campy and ridiculous, but somehow it just works. If you're looking for something WAY over the top, you need this in your life.



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home