Your Ad Here

Friday, February 27, 2015

Melodifestivalen 2015: Heat Four - Preliminary Judgment

This is it, the final Heat that will decide if this year's competition can be salvaged or if it will go down as an unfortunate bump in the road. Let's see what this week's clips reveal!

(Listen to clips here)

1. Midnight Boy - Don't Say No
Based on the names involved, this was easily my most anticipated song of the entire competition. Based on the clip, I'm happy to say that it's my first "5" score of the year. I love everything about it. I hope it does well, but honestly it sounds too good for this year's MF so it probably won't.  5/5

2. Caroline Wennergren - Black Swan
I shouldn't like this, but it has some undeniable bombast that's really intriguing me. It sounds like Caroline Af Ugglas tackling some bluesy Jim Steinman track. Could be amazing. 4/5

3. JTR - Building It Up
I found them quite cheesy and annoying on X-Factor AU. This also sounds quite cheesy, but that fits much better in the context of MF. It also sounds very paint-by-numbers, so right now it's a pretty average score.  3/5

4. Hasse Andersson - Guld och gröna skogar (Gold and Green Forests)
I love dansband, but this is not my favorite slice of the genre. It's totally old man rock, and there's always one like it in MF each year. In such a boring year, this is actually kind of comforting. Doesn't make it good, though. 2.5/5

5. Dinah Nah - Make Me (La La La)
Why are all the decent songs in this heat? Now, this is nothing special at all, but it's a dance pop sound that has been sorely missing from this year's competition. The chorus sound catchy. I'm very curious about the verses. 3.5/5

6. Annika Herlitz - Ett andetag (One Breath)
Firmly in the "plodding ballad" territory that Ryan Tedder has unfortunately popularized. It doesn't sound as dirgey as some of them... at least there seems to be a spark of life in the performance. Still, it's nothing new or exciting.  2.5/5

7. Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes
I already like it miles better than Eric's song from week one. This is supposed to the big track of the week. It's not my favorite, but I'm SO happy that it seems to have the grand, epic sound that characterizes the best MF entries. I need to hear more to see just how much I like it. 4/5

Wow! Why the hell didn't they spread these songs out across the four weeks? This is easily, by a laughably wide margin, the strongest week this year... and that's just from hearing the clips! Finally, I'm looking forward to a MF Saturday again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home