Your Ad Here

Friday, February 06, 2015

Melodifestivalen 2015 Heat One: Preliminary Judgment

It's weird. Melodifestivalen is one of the best pop periods of each year, yet my excitement level is not nearly as high this year as it usually is. Maybe it's because there are less songs, or maybe it's because none of my favorite artists are competing this year... but I'm entering with lowered expectations. Hopefully, this'll mean that it will be easier to blow me away! As always, these reviews are based on the rehearsal clips of the songs provided by svt and my opinions may change when I hear them in full tomorrow.

(Listen to clips here)

1. Molly Pettersson Hammar - I'll Be Fine
I get that this is probably supposed to capture the Adele audience (it's way too late for that, btw), but it sounds much too adult contemporary for my tastes based on this clip. Not want I want to see in MF. 2/5

2. Daniel Gildenlöw - Pappa
Ummmm..... I just don't know. I like the pensive Swedish ballad as much as the next guy, but I can't tell a thing based on this short of a clip. It doesn't sound particularly memorable, but maybe it gets better? 2.5/5

3. Rickard Söderberg And Elize Ryd - One By One
At least this is the kind of bonzo MF concoction that I look forward to. Dang, why are these clips so short this year? I can't make out much, but it does sound like their entry will be memorable. I always love a bit of opera. 3/5

4. Dolly Style - Hello Hi
So far, this is the only track I can decipher a hook from, based on the sample. I doubt it'll do that well on the night, but I think this will be one of my highlights of the first week just because it sounds so cheesy and poppy. 4/5

5. Behrang Miri (ft. Victor Crone) - Det rår vi inte för (We Don't Control It)
I LOVED his last entry, but this is definitely a different sound. I like that it seems kind of anthemic, but I wish that the tempo was a little more upbeat. But unlike the first couple of entries, I'm actually excited to hear the rest of it tomorrow. I think I'll end up liking the chorus more than the verses. 4/5

6. Jessica Andersson - Can't Hurt Me Now
Every contest needs a big ballad. Hell, last year the big ballad won. I'm not sold on this yet, but ballads usually can't be expressed very well through a short clip. I'm willing to give it a chance, especially since I've like Jessica's entries in the past, but I can't say this sample is exciting me very much. 3/5

7. Eric Saade - Sting
This is basically a guaranteed qualifier, so I'm happy it's uptempo and seems to be interestingly produced. That said, I'm not getting much from this clip. Eric's vocals tend to grate (on me, at least), and the production is what catches my ear the most at this point. We'll see! 3.5/5

Well, I'm excited to hear the Dolly Style, Behrang and Eric songs in full, especially since you can't tell anything from these lame clips. My somewhat ambivalent feeling around the contest as a whole remains, so I'm hoping the performances will reignite the schlager spark!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home